Autor Thema: Pump increments of 0.05  (Gelesen 4618 mal)

Offline selketine

Pump increments of 0.05
« am: Dezember 19, 2004, 05:02 »
I'm back and I do have SiDiary up and running on the Dell Axim x50v.  (I learned about this program at aximsite.com).   I think I have a problem though.  William is on the Animas 1200 pump which has a basal rate as low as .025 units per hour.  His basal rate during the day generally runs from .1 to .125 to .15 and .175.  It looks like the software won't let me set up his basal profile in the .025 increments.  I'm not sure how this would affect overall usage of the program - I could still record his other info.  I already know in my head what his basal is set to at various times during the day.

I don't know how likely it is that the software could be modified in the future to allow for the lower basal rate settings.  Any chance of that?   I realize there aren't many 2 year olds with diabetes and certainly even fewer of those on pumps.

It looks like a great program!  I'm still trying to learn my way around the pocket PC (I used to have a Sony Clie which ran Palm software) and it has been a big learning curve but I'm getting there.

Many thanks!

Carol (with William, age 2, dx'd 3-10-04)

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
Pump increments of 0.05
« Antwort #1 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 17:46 »
Dear Carol,

you're right, SiDiary isn't supporting such small increments. I've included the pumper's features but since I'm not a pumper for myself I've implemented this stuff without practical knowledge about it.

Since SiDiary just uses the total basal sum (beside of storing the curve of the basal profile) to put it into the log book, you can set-up a curve which is close to the real one with at least the same sum (if it's not a total with a .25 decimal of course) so that the log book basal entry would be correct.

I will come back to you when I've found something about smaller increments for the sliders...

Cheers, Alf.
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit

Offline selketine

Pump increments of 0.05
« Antwort #2 am: Dezember 20, 2004, 06:13 »
Many thanks for the tip.  I'll set up a basal profile that would give generally the same total dailiy dose of basal insulin so it will have the right bottom line number for his basal and go from there.     He is very sensitive to insulin as you can tell from the extremely small dose of basal he gets per hour - and a .025 change can make a major difference in his numbers.   

Thanks for all of your help!

Carol

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Ohana heißt "Familie"...
    • Diabetesinfo
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
Pump increments of 0.05
« Antwort #3 am: Dezember 20, 2004, 11:31 »
He is very sensitive to insulin as you can tell from the extremely small dose of basal he gets per hour - and a .025 change can make a major difference in his numbers.   

Oh, that's pretty normal. We should judge this circumstance in relation to his bodyweight. A dose of .025 for him ist the same as .25 for me. And especially in basal-insulin this could make the difference between normal BG and Hypoglycemia.

Other Insulinpumps than the Animas 1200 deliver their doses in rates of 0.1 IE, but especially in childhood many users dilute the U100 Insulin down to U10. And then, if you set up the dose to 0.1 the really dose is 0.01.

Anyway, I suggest to change the minimum dose input mode to three digits behind the comma (in further versions)

It´s tricky to set this in the way you did, but it would be better if you could have a look at the correct dose-changes of a day.

(Sorry for my poor english)
Meine Seite über Diabetes: http://www.diabetesinfo.de/
Meine Facebook-Seite: https://www.facebook.com/Diabetesinfo.de/

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetikertagebuch
Re: Pump increments of 0.05
« Antwort #4 am: Dezember 23, 2004, 13:26 »
Dear Carol,

I've enhanced the windows-version where you now can specify the step increments for the pump: You can select from 0.1, 0.05 and 0.01.

So you can now set-up the correct basal-profile on your desktop pc and after synchronizing you will get it also on your PPC.

I will send this version with a pm to your account.

Unfortunately the time wasn't enough to also enhance the PPC version. Maybe this will come with the SP...

Cheers, Alf.
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android

Offline Annika

« Antwort #5 am: September 30, 2005, 16:52 »
Dear Moderators Ralf and Jorg,

We just bougth your programm, hoping to improve Annika's (3 yr) bloodsugar levels. Annika is using an insuline pump (the Medtronic paradigm 512) with very small basalrates as well. Yes we would be very pleased when you could add the small increments on the PDA version as well but maybe more important in improving her hba1c values would be the possibility of having the individual basalrates in the logbook (at least accumulated to the different time frames during the day) and not only the total sum!! We then get the possibility of creating charts where the bloodsugar values (at the same time of the day (e.g 11:00, before noon)) are plotted against the dates of for instance the last 2 wks (or another timeframe). This information will give us the possibility to determine whether or not the basalrate at a particular time of the day is correct.
Maybe you could even create the charts in one of the next releases!

Hopefully you understand what I mean because I think it could help a lot of people!
Kind regards Onno (dad of Annika, from the Netherlands)

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Ohana heißt "Familie"...
    • Diabetesinfo
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
« Antwort #6 am: September 30, 2005, 20:36 »
Hi Onno,

Alf is out for holidays untill middle of October. Then he surely will give his statement to your request.

Your idea about plotting individual basalrates instead of the total sum to check out if the basalrates ar correct won't work!

The only way to check out the correctness of a basalrate is to do a basalrate-testing. This is a period of time, in which no other circumstance which can increase/decrease the bg-level is working. I can describe such a testing for adults, but not sure for children (especially such young ones). In diabetic diseases children are definitely not little adults, because they have their own physiology. And my skills of pedriatic diabetes are not good enough to describe such a testing for children. I suggest you ask your diabetes-team how this testing should be for Annika.

On a normal day she plays, eats, runs and so on, so you never can be sure, why a bg-level has in-/decreased.
Meine Seite über Diabetes: http://www.diabetesinfo.de/
Meine Facebook-Seite: https://www.facebook.com/Diabetesinfo.de/

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetikertagebuch
« Antwort #7 am: Oktober 10, 2005, 23:53 »
Dear Onno,

back from my holidays I stumbled in this thread after having read the welcome message from Angela which have created my curiosity...
I'm always feeling concerned when I read about the parents of childrens with diabetes. Especially in your case with a three years aged daughter since my daughter's name is Annika too...

I think that we are talking about that you want to have history data in the logsheet for the basal profiles? When you use the pumper templates for the print-outs, you can see the relationship of the tracked levels and the basal profile of that day. Currently SiDiary does not keep the previous basal profile when you do some changes on a particular profile so all days with that profile from before will be printed with the most recent curve.

Is that the issue you want to deal with?

With best wishes,
Alf.